Dogs to help destroy terrorist hideouts
New Delhi: A new set of specially trained
canines have been raised by security forces to go beyond their
sniffing skills and help them in stealthily planting IEDs in
terrorist hideouts and even stealing their weapons.
The canines raised by Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP)
are being hailed as the first such squad in any force
including the army and are called Bomb Drop Dog (BDD) and
Weapon Retrieval Dog (WRD).
"The task of the BDD dog is to quietly place a remote
controlled Improvised Explosive Device (IED) near the
terrorist hideout when our troops are pinned down by their
fire. The bomb is then remotely detonated inflicting damage on
the terrorists," a senior ITBP officer said.
The WRD dog is used for cleaning up operations and
retrieval of weapons of militants before the troops get an
all-clear signal to enter the suspected hideout, the officer
The canines, all labradors, have been trained and raised
by the ITBP National Training Centre for Dogs (NTCD) near
Chandigarh which is known for delivering some very sharp dogs
to various police and anti-terror squads in the country and
has been marked as a centre for excellence for this job.
A lot of effort has gone in training these dogs and they
will prove an asset for security forces operating in
anti-naxal and counter-insurgency areas, the officer said.
The dogs have recently been brought to the national
capital where they will publicly display their skills for the
first time during the ITBP raising day on October 24 here.
The NTCD team which has trained these dogs was recently
decorated with the Director General (DG) insignia for this
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India