Dolma announces candidature for Tibetan PM poll
Dharamsala: The political scene for the election of a new prime minister of the Tibetan government-in-exile based in this town has assumed a new dimension with senior Tibetan leader Gyari Dolma announcing her candidature.
Dolma, the first woman deputy speaker of the parliament-in-exile, announced Thursday that she would contest the Kalon Tripa or prime ministerial election to be held next year. No woman has so far become the prime minister of the Tibetan government-in-exile.
"If I am given the opportunity, I would love to shoulder the responsibility of Kalon Tripa," she said Friday.
"But things will be more clear by Oct 3 (when the primary elections to nominate candidates will be held)," she added.
As per the election schedule, the general elections will take place March 20, 2011. Some 120,000 Tibetan exiles worldwide - above the age of 18 - are eligible to vote.
Incumbent Samdhong Rinpoche became the first directly elected prime minister in September 2001 after the Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, called for a directly elected political leader of the exiles.
The Tibetan government has so far seen four women ministers in the Kashag (cabinet) but no woman has so far become the prime minister.
Jetsun Pema, the younger sister of the Dalai Lama, was the first woman cabinet minister. She was in the cabinet for three years from 1990.
Currently, Y. Takla, minister of information and international relations, is the only woman in the cabinet.
The Dalai Lama has been based in this town since fleeing Tibet in 1959.
His government-in-exile is not recognised by any county.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org