Donor dies before liver transplant in Vilasrao Deshmukh
Chennai: Efforts to save union minister Vilasrao Deshmukh’s life suffered a major setback after a brain-dead man whose liver and kidney were to be transplanted, died hours before the transplant.
The 31-year-old man was a school van driver. He met with a road accident on Saturday while he was riding a bike on East Coast road. He was declared brain-dead by doctors at the government general hospital.
He was identified as a possible donor by doctors of the Global Hospitals where 67-year-old Deshmukh is awaiting a transplant after he was diagnosed with liver cancer, a newspaper reported.
The driver’s family gave consent for donating his organs but later retracted, however, before they could be brought around, the man died of cardiac arrest.
The former Maharashtra Chief Minister was brought here from Mumbai in an air ambulance. A team doctors of several specialties, including noted liver transplant surgeon Dr Mohamed Rela, are treating Deshmukh, who is on life-support systems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof