Donor dies before liver transplant in Vilasrao Deshmukh
Chennai: Efforts to save union minister Vilasrao Deshmukh’s life suffered a major setback after a brain-dead man whose liver and kidney were to be transplanted, died hours before the transplant.
The 31-year-old man was a school van driver. He met with a road accident on Saturday while he was riding a bike on East Coast road. He was declared brain-dead by doctors at the government general hospital.
He was identified as a possible donor by doctors of the Global Hospitals where 67-year-old Deshmukh is awaiting a transplant after he was diagnosed with liver cancer, a newspaper reported.
The driver’s family gave consent for donating his organs but later retracted, however, before they could be brought around, the man died of cardiac arrest.
The former Maharashtra Chief Minister was brought here from Mumbai in an air ambulance. A team doctors of several specialties, including noted liver transplant surgeon Dr Mohamed Rela, are treating Deshmukh, who is on life-support systems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'