Don`t ask for death penalty but certainty of punishment: Azmi
New Delhi: Death penalty for rapists will delay the process of justice and instead the need of the hour is to ask for certainty of punishment, feels noted actress Shabana Azmi.
Speaking at a workshop on gender sensitisation organised by the CISF, the 61-year-old former Parliamentarian said delay in implementation of the law is the real challenge faced in the country today.
"Laws by themselves cannot change anything. We need laws to be implemented, we need firm investigation, speedy justice and we need to ensure that it is not the severity of the punishment but certainty of the punishment," she said.
"There is great hue and cry for death penalty for rapists but people who deal with law say in cases of rape it has taken 10 years and even more before culprits are booked.
"In the case of death penalty, such stringent evidence is required before it is awarded. It will retard the process of justice. We do not have to ask for death penalty but certainty in punishment," she said.
The veteran cine star also stressed on bringing about a change in the mindset of the society by providing right form of education.
"I was going though some questions in textbooks for a 3-year-old which had some typical questions and answers.
The question was `Where is the father` and the answer is `He is in the office`... The next question is `Where is the mother` and the answer is `She is in the kitchen`. So why are we making it in the head of the child something that role plays will happen according to the gender.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India