Don`t ask for death penalty but certainty of punishment: Azmi
New Delhi: Death penalty for rapists will delay the process of justice and instead the need of the hour is to ask for certainty of punishment, feels noted actress Shabana Azmi.
Speaking at a workshop on gender sensitisation organised by the CISF, the 61-year-old former Parliamentarian said delay in implementation of the law is the real challenge faced in the country today.
"Laws by themselves cannot change anything. We need laws to be implemented, we need firm investigation, speedy justice and we need to ensure that it is not the severity of the punishment but certainty of the punishment," she said.
"There is great hue and cry for death penalty for rapists but people who deal with law say in cases of rape it has taken 10 years and even more before culprits are booked.
"In the case of death penalty, such stringent evidence is required before it is awarded. It will retard the process of justice. We do not have to ask for death penalty but certainty in punishment," she said.
The veteran cine star also stressed on bringing about a change in the mindset of the society by providing right form of education.
"I was going though some questions in textbooks for a 3-year-old which had some typical questions and answers.
The question was `Where is the father` and the answer is `He is in the office`... The next question is `Where is the mother` and the answer is `She is in the kitchen`. So why are we making it in the head of the child something that role plays will happen according to the gender.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!