Don`t be happy about SC decision: Oppn to Congress
New Delhi: The government should not celebrate the Supreme Court verdict rejecting a plea seeking to make Finance Minister P Chidambaram a co-accused in the 2G scam case, the BJP and the CPI said on Friday.
"I have not seen the whole judgment, but the government should not be so happy about it," said Bharatiya Janata Party leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, shortly after the Supreme Court ruling dismissing Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy came in.
"One of their ministers is already in jail and there is evidence against others. If due to some technical reason or due to lack of evidence a decision has come, government should not celebrate because it is neck deep in corruption," Naqvi said.
Communist Party of India leader and member of the Joint Parliamentary Committee looking into the 2G spectrum allocation scam Gurudas Dasgupta also said it was not a victory for the government.
"The Supreme Court is right in making its own judgment. But Members of Parliament and JPC have their own views. We are not going to be influenced by what CBI or Supreme Court has said," Dasgupta said.
"We will make our own decision depending on what evidence we get. It is not a setback," he said.
In a major relief to Chidambaram, the Supreme Court on Friday rejected the plea to make him co-accused along with former communications minister A Raja in the 2G spectrum allocation case.
Swamy had moved the apex court challenging a February 4 order by a trial court rejecting his plea to make Chidambaram co-accused and seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test