Don’t blame Congress for black money: Tewari
New Delhi: Taking part in the debate in Lok Sabha on black money, Congress’ Manish Tewari on Wednesday hit back at the Opposition asking them not to politicise the issue.
Appealing to the Opposition to seek a consensus on the issue, Tewari said Congress governments cannot be blamed for black money problem.
On Opposition’s charge as to why the government is not revealing the names of illegal account holders, the Congress leader said the UPA government cannot do the same as it is not permissible under the laws of Switzerland where most of such accounts are located.
He further said the amount of black money stashed abroad is not known, and added black money generated in India is huge.
Agreeing with BJP leader LK Advani, who initiated the debate, on shadow economy corrupting politics, Tewari said the parallel economy in India was estimated to be over Re 1 trillion.
He also said that every third dollar invested in India is routed through some tax haven.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note