Don’t blame Congress for black money: Tewari
New Delhi: Taking part in the debate in Lok Sabha on black money, Congress’ Manish Tewari on Wednesday hit back at the Opposition asking them not to politicise the issue.
Appealing to the Opposition to seek a consensus on the issue, Tewari said Congress governments cannot be blamed for black money problem.
On Opposition’s charge as to why the government is not revealing the names of illegal account holders, the Congress leader said the UPA government cannot do the same as it is not permissible under the laws of Switzerland where most of such accounts are located.
He further said the amount of black money stashed abroad is not known, and added black money generated in India is huge.
Agreeing with BJP leader LK Advani, who initiated the debate, on shadow economy corrupting politics, Tewari said the parallel economy in India was estimated to be over Re 1 trillion.
He also said that every third dollar invested in India is routed through some tax haven.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference