Don’t blame Congress for black money: Tewari
New Delhi: Taking part in the debate in Lok Sabha on black money, Congress’ Manish Tewari on Wednesday hit back at the Opposition asking them not to politicise the issue.
Appealing to the Opposition to seek a consensus on the issue, Tewari said Congress governments cannot be blamed for black money problem.
On Opposition’s charge as to why the government is not revealing the names of illegal account holders, the Congress leader said the UPA government cannot do the same as it is not permissible under the laws of Switzerland where most of such accounts are located.
He further said the amount of black money stashed abroad is not known, and added black money generated in India is huge.
Agreeing with BJP leader LK Advani, who initiated the debate, on shadow economy corrupting politics, Tewari said the parallel economy in India was estimated to be over Re 1 trillion.
He also said that every third dollar invested in India is routed through some tax haven.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof