Don’t blame Congress for black money: Tewari
New Delhi: Taking part in the debate in Lok Sabha on black money, Congress’ Manish Tewari on Wednesday hit back at the Opposition asking them not to politicise the issue.
Appealing to the Opposition to seek a consensus on the issue, Tewari said Congress governments cannot be blamed for black money problem.
On Opposition’s charge as to why the government is not revealing the names of illegal account holders, the Congress leader said the UPA government cannot do the same as it is not permissible under the laws of Switzerland where most of such accounts are located.
He further said the amount of black money stashed abroad is not known, and added black money generated in India is huge.
Agreeing with BJP leader LK Advani, who initiated the debate, on shadow economy corrupting politics, Tewari said the parallel economy in India was estimated to be over Re 1 trillion.
He also said that every third dollar invested in India is routed through some tax haven.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers