Don`t block NH: SC warns pro, anti-Gorkhaland agitators
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday warned
pro and anti-Gorkhaland agitators that blockade of National
Highway, the economic lifeline for Sikkim, would bring serious
consequences including "de-recognition" of political parties
and arrest of their leaders.
"Any further obstruction or blockade of NH 31A by pro or
anti-Gorkhaland agitators will bring serious consequences,
including the detention of their leaders," a Bench comprising
Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan and Justices Deepak Verma and B
S Chauhan said.
"If anybody causes obstruction on the national
highway, the party indulging in it would be de-recognised and
their leaders will be arrested," the Bench said while
reminding the political parties involved in pro and
anti-Gorkhaland agitations about its July 3, 2008 order to
keep the highway free from their agitation.
It noted that the highway not only connects Sikkim to the
rest of the country but also passes through several districts
and hilly places like Siliguri, Darjeeling, Kalimpong and
Cooch Bihar in West Bengal to ensure supply of essential goods
to the hilly region.
Sikkim government had last month moved the apex court
against frequent blockade of the highway seeking a direction
for West Bengal to ensure smooth traffic and freight movement
which has bore the brunt of pro and anti-Gorkhaland protests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion