Don`t block NH: SC warns pro, anti-Gorkhaland agitators
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday warned
pro and anti-Gorkhaland agitators that blockade of National
Highway, the economic lifeline for Sikkim, would bring serious
consequences including "de-recognition" of political parties
and arrest of their leaders.
"Any further obstruction or blockade of NH 31A by pro or
anti-Gorkhaland agitators will bring serious consequences,
including the detention of their leaders," a Bench comprising
Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan and Justices Deepak Verma and B
S Chauhan said.
"If anybody causes obstruction on the national
highway, the party indulging in it would be de-recognised and
their leaders will be arrested," the Bench said while
reminding the political parties involved in pro and
anti-Gorkhaland agitations about its July 3, 2008 order to
keep the highway free from their agitation.
It noted that the highway not only connects Sikkim to the
rest of the country but also passes through several districts
and hilly places like Siliguri, Darjeeling, Kalimpong and
Cooch Bihar in West Bengal to ensure supply of essential goods
to the hilly region.
Sikkim government had last month moved the apex court
against frequent blockade of the highway seeking a direction
for West Bengal to ensure smooth traffic and freight movement
which has bore the brunt of pro and anti-Gorkhaland protests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof