Don’t call Team Anna anti-national: BJP
New Delhi: Hitting out at the government for calling Team Anna members "anti-national", BJP on Saturday said it is not right and unjustified to level such allegations against those critical of the policies of the UPA dispensation.
Reacting to comments of V Narayanasamy, Minister of State in PMO, that Team Anna members were anti-national, BJP president Nitin Gadkari said such terms should not be used.
"I feel calling somebody anti-national is not right. There can be differences of opinion between people in the country but calling somebody, who is agitating against the government, anti-national is not justified and is not right," he told reporters on the sidelines of a programme here.
Earlier in the day, Narayanasamy had told reporters in Chennai airport, "Anna is a simple man but he is surrounded by anti-national elements and people who have been supported by foreign forces."
He criticised Team Anna members Arvind Kejriwal and Kiran Bedi and sought to know "what happened to the huge sum of money collected during last year`s (anti-corruption) agitation".
"Bedi herself was facing some allegations (over bloated travel receipts)," Narayanasamy said.
On allegations of irregularities in allocation of coal blocks, he said the Manmohan Singh-led government was "transparent".
"Our government is transparent. The Prime Minister wanted to have a transparent form of coal block allocation in 2004," the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons