Don’t call Team Anna anti-national: BJP
New Delhi: Hitting out at the government for calling Team Anna members "anti-national", BJP on Saturday said it is not right and unjustified to level such allegations against those critical of the policies of the UPA dispensation.
Reacting to comments of V Narayanasamy, Minister of State in PMO, that Team Anna members were anti-national, BJP president Nitin Gadkari said such terms should not be used.
"I feel calling somebody anti-national is not right. There can be differences of opinion between people in the country but calling somebody, who is agitating against the government, anti-national is not justified and is not right," he told reporters on the sidelines of a programme here.
Earlier in the day, Narayanasamy had told reporters in Chennai airport, "Anna is a simple man but he is surrounded by anti-national elements and people who have been supported by foreign forces."
He criticised Team Anna members Arvind Kejriwal and Kiran Bedi and sought to know "what happened to the huge sum of money collected during last year`s (anti-corruption) agitation".
"Bedi herself was facing some allegations (over bloated travel receipts)," Narayanasamy said.
On allegations of irregularities in allocation of coal blocks, he said the Manmohan Singh-led government was "transparent".
"Our government is transparent. The Prime Minister wanted to have a transparent form of coal block allocation in 2004," the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster