Don`t commit suicide for statehood: Swaraj
New Delhi: Senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj on Sunday made an emotional appeal to the people of Telangana,
particularly the youth, asking them not to commit suicide to
press for statehood saying she would withdraw herself from the
movement if they took the extreme step.
"I plead with people of Telangana particularly the Youth
my brothers and sisters of Telangana. Don`t die for the
creation of Telangana. Live to see the day when Telangana is
"Now onwards if there is a single suicide for creation of
Telangana, I will withdraw myself Telangana movement.I beg of
you please donot damage the Telangana cause by committing
suicides," Swaraj said on the microblogging community site
The BJP leader had raised the issue in a big way in the
Lok Sabha two days back.
Swaraj, who is the Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha,
had moved a calling Attention Motion in the House on Friday
that saw a heated debatre over the issue.
The debate saw charges and countercharges between the
Congress members from Telangana and those from rest of Andhra
Pradesh and it was a tough time for the government managers to
Participating in the debate, Swaraj had charged that
people were led into believing UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi
when she promised at an election meeting in Karimnagar in 2004
that if voted to power, Congress would grant statehood to
She had also alleged that the "injustice" done by
Justice Srikrishna will not be forgotten ever in the history
of Telangana and had termed the Srikrishna Commission report
on the matter as an "AICC report".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users