Don’t count chickens before they hatch: Cong to NDA
New Delhi: Taking a jibe at Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray for his comment that Sushma Swaraj is the "only deserving" prime ministerial candidate in BJP, Congress on Sunday said the NDA has the habit of "counting chickens before they hatch".
"The larger NDA suffers from a unique malady of anointing prime ministers without awaiting for people`s verdict...The NDA/BJP should not count their chickens before they hatch," Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari told a news agency.
In an interview to Sena mouthpiece `Saamana`, Thackeray has said Swaraj, the leader of opposition in Lok Sabha, is the only leader in the ally BJP who would make a "deserving" prime minister.
"At present there is only one person who is intelligent, brilliant - Sushma Swaraj," Thackeray said.
Reacting cautiously to Sena chief`s comment, BJP leader Balbir Punj said his party has a "number of competent leaders" who are capable of becoming prime ministers.
Tewari said, "While in 2007 there was one prime minister- in-waiting (in NDA), by 2012 the numbers are multiplying at a rate that defies the logic of calculation".
In a sarcastic remark, AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh said since Swaraj`s name has been proposed by Shiv Sena as NDA`s prime ministerial candidate, she should now clear what is her party`s stand on attack on migrants from Bihar and UP in Maharashtra by Sena and MNS workers.
"Would BJP clear its stand on Shiv Sena and MNS` views on migrants from Bihar and UP? Particularly Sushma Swaraj, as she is their PM candidate now," Singh tweeted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'