Don’t count chickens before they hatch: Cong to NDA
New Delhi: Taking a jibe at Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray for his comment that Sushma Swaraj is the "only deserving" prime ministerial candidate in BJP, Congress on Sunday said the NDA has the habit of "counting chickens before they hatch".
"The larger NDA suffers from a unique malady of anointing prime ministers without awaiting for people`s verdict...The NDA/BJP should not count their chickens before they hatch," Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari told a news agency.
In an interview to Sena mouthpiece `Saamana`, Thackeray has said Swaraj, the leader of opposition in Lok Sabha, is the only leader in the ally BJP who would make a "deserving" prime minister.
"At present there is only one person who is intelligent, brilliant - Sushma Swaraj," Thackeray said.
Reacting cautiously to Sena chief`s comment, BJP leader Balbir Punj said his party has a "number of competent leaders" who are capable of becoming prime ministers.
Tewari said, "While in 2007 there was one prime minister- in-waiting (in NDA), by 2012 the numbers are multiplying at a rate that defies the logic of calculation".
In a sarcastic remark, AICC general secretary Digvijay Singh said since Swaraj`s name has been proposed by Shiv Sena as NDA`s prime ministerial candidate, she should now clear what is her party`s stand on attack on migrants from Bihar and UP in Maharashtra by Sena and MNS workers.
"Would BJP clear its stand on Shiv Sena and MNS` views on migrants from Bihar and UP? Particularly Sushma Swaraj, as she is their PM candidate now," Singh tweeted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says