‘Don`t expect miracles from Indo-Pak dialogue’
New Delhi: Defence Minister A.K. Antony Tuesday sought to calibrate the growing expectations from the bilateral dialogue between India and Pakistan, saying "don`t expect miracles".
Antony said there were positive signs in trade relations between India and Pakistan, but there was nothing beyond that as of now.
"Don`t expect miracles," he told reporters here on the sidelines of a South Asian Security Conference organised by the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA).
"At the moment, we find a positive sign in relations with Pakistan in the area of economic cooperation. It is a good beginning," he said, referring to the talks between Prime Ministers Manmohan Singh and Yousuf Raza Gilani on the sidelines of the SAARC summit in the Maldives last week.
"It is a positive signal. But we cannot expect miracles. It is a good sign. Beyond that we cannot say," he said.
Earlier at the conference, Antony said the comprehensive dialogue between India and Pakistan had been "steady".
"There are already clear signs that India-Pakistan trade relations might improve and expand. The expansion in cooperation has created an atmosphere to expand the dialogue on cooperation security," he said.
"However, we need to change our mindset, if we really wish to reap the benefits of mutual cooperation," he added.
Supporting the idea of a cooperative security framework for South Asia on the lines of those in Southeast Asia and Central Asia, Antony said the latter two regions had made considerable progress in their combined security architecture.
"Such a security framework for the South Asian region will require regular consultations and dialogue -- both at official and non-official levels. Some of these issues are being discussed at such forums as the SAARC and Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) in the framework of socia-economic development.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference