Don`t focus excessively on negatives: PM to media
New Delhi: Facing the heat over a number of
scams involving the government, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
today asked the media not to "focus excessively on the
negative features" as an impression was going out that India
is a "scam-driven" country.
He invited the media to work with the government to
"revitalize the spirit of rejuvenation, spirit of self
Interacting with Editors of TV channels, Singh said,
"during the last couple of months, the media have drawn the
country’s attention to some aberrations whether in the form of
allocation of 2G spectrum, the Commonwealth Games and more
recently some developments in the Space organization, Adarsh
"I think media have played a very important role in
drawing the country’s attention to these issues which
require corrective action."
In this context, he promised to bring to book all the
wrong-doers "regardless of the position they may occupy",
saying the government was "dead serious" about it.
"However, I would like to say that in projecting these
events an impression has gone round that we are a scam-driven
country and that nothing good is happening in our country," he
"In the process, believingly, I think we are weakening
the self-confidence of the people of India. I don`t that it is
in the interest of anybody in our country," Singh said.
The Prime Minister asked Editors not to "focus
excessively on the negative features" relating to the affairs
of the nation even though it was important for the government
to deal with it and take effective action.
"The Media has, as I said, a very important role to play
in a functioning democracy that India is and let us work
together to revitalize the spirit of rejuvenation, spirit of
self confidence that we have problems, but we also have
credible mechanisms to overcome them. We shall overcome, we
shall prevail," the Prime Minister said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!