Dont` give undue weightage to minor lapses in probe: SC
New Delhi: Guilty persons will have a field day if courts get carried away by every mistake and give unnecessary weightage to minor "errors or lapses" in police probe, the Supreme Court has said.
A bench headed by Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai said that courts should take pragmatic approach to decide cases and take notice of any mischief done by the investigating agency.
"It is true that there can be no compromise on basic legal principles, but, unnecessary weightage should not be given to minor errors or lapses.
"If courts get carried away by every mistake or lapse of the investigating agency, the guilty will have a field day," the bench said.
"The court with its vast experience should be quick to notice mischief if there is any. Incompetent prosecuting agencies or prosecuting agencies which are driven by extraneous considerations should not be allowed to take the court for a ride.
"Particularly in offences relating to women and children, which are on rise, the courts will have to adopt a pragmatic approach," it said.
The bench said alleged overwriting and discrepancies in timings and dates in reports cannot be a ground for rejecting its veracity.
It passed the order while upholding conviction of a man in dowry death case of his wife.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?