Don`t go by numbers to gauge public support: Bedi
New Delhi: Team Anna member Kiran Bedi on Wednesday downplayed the low turnout at Anna Hazare`s fast in Mumbai, saying one should not just go by the number of people who turn up at the venue but the support received from the masses on internet and other means should also be taken into account.
Bedi said lakhs of youth have been expressing their
support to the anti-corruption campaign on the internet and
millions of people have been watching Hazare`s agitation live
on television, which is also a form of support.
"One should not just go by the number at the venue. If
one had seen the number of people who marched from Juhi beach
to MMRDA grounds, he/she will not say that the turnout is low.
We have been successful in creating awareness among the
people," she told reporters at Ramlila Maidan here.
"There are millions of people who are watching the fast
live on television channels. They also support Anna Hazare. It
is not necessary for them to come to the venue. See the
support we get on internet," she said.
Bedi was responding to a volley of questions on the low
turnout at Hazare`s fast venue in Mumbai as well as the Team`s
relay fast in New Delhi.
Bedi also said Team Anna would continue to create
awareness among the public on Lokpal and will fight till the
"Time has come now for the right laws to be passed. We
made the Parliament at least listen to voices of the people.
But the Bill that has been passed did not reflect the views of
the people," she said.
Bedi said the whole movement was aimed at "freeing" the
CBI from political manipulations and rued the fact that it
could not be achieved as of now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey