Don`t go by numbers to gauge public support: Bedi
New Delhi: Team Anna member Kiran Bedi on Wednesday downplayed the low turnout at Anna Hazare`s fast in Mumbai, saying one should not just go by the number of people who turn up at the venue but the support received from the masses on internet and other means should also be taken into account.
Bedi said lakhs of youth have been expressing their
support to the anti-corruption campaign on the internet and
millions of people have been watching Hazare`s agitation live
on television, which is also a form of support.
"One should not just go by the number at the venue. If
one had seen the number of people who marched from Juhi beach
to MMRDA grounds, he/she will not say that the turnout is low.
We have been successful in creating awareness among the
people," she told reporters at Ramlila Maidan here.
"There are millions of people who are watching the fast
live on television channels. They also support Anna Hazare. It
is not necessary for them to come to the venue. See the
support we get on internet," she said.
Bedi was responding to a volley of questions on the low
turnout at Hazare`s fast venue in Mumbai as well as the Team`s
relay fast in New Delhi.
Bedi also said Team Anna would continue to create
awareness among the public on Lokpal and will fight till the
"Time has come now for the right laws to be passed. We
made the Parliament at least listen to voices of the people.
But the Bill that has been passed did not reflect the views of
the people," she said.
Bedi said the whole movement was aimed at "freeing" the
CBI from political manipulations and rued the fact that it
could not be achieved as of now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof