Don`t issue statements on PM candidate: Rajnath to BJP workers
New Delhi: Concerned over divisions within the NDA on the candidature of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for the post of prime minister, BJP President Rajnath Singh on Monday made a "final appeal" to his party leaders not to speak on the issue.
"I want to humbly appeal to the BJP workers and leaders that there should be no statement from them on who will the candidate for the prime minister`s post. As I have said earlier, the BJP convention is that any decision on the chief ministerial or prime ministerial candidate is taken by the Central Parliamentary Board," he told reporters.
Singh`s comments come in the wake of demands from BJP leaders like Ram Jethmalani and Yashwant Sinha that Modi should be the party`s PM candidate. Other leaders have also reacted in the media to the debate leading to spilling out of the differences over the issue within the NDA.
"Whether to speak, who will speak or not speak, what he will say (on such an issue) is all decided by the Central Parliamentary Board. So if any question is asked by the media, then all leaders should say that a final decision on the issue will be taken by the Central Parliamentary Board," he said.
Singh had issued a similar directive earlier but it seems to have had little impact on the BJP leaders.
"I am making this appeal as our leaders usually behave within the prescribed limits and such comments hurt everybody. I am not going to make this appeal that I am making, again," he said.
The stern warning has come against the backdrop of JD-U openly opposing Modi`s candidature and ally Shiv Sena expressing support for Sushma Swaraj for the post of prime minister.
BJP is said to be under pressure from Sangh Parivar affiliates like VHP to declare Modi as the PM candidate but the party`s top brass is reportedly divided on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy