Don`t issue statements on PM candidate: Rajnath to BJP workers
New Delhi: Concerned over divisions within the NDA on the candidature of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for the post of prime minister, BJP President Rajnath Singh on Monday made a "final appeal" to his party leaders not to speak on the issue.
"I want to humbly appeal to the BJP workers and leaders that there should be no statement from them on who will the candidate for the prime minister`s post. As I have said earlier, the BJP convention is that any decision on the chief ministerial or prime ministerial candidate is taken by the Central Parliamentary Board," he told reporters.
Singh`s comments come in the wake of demands from BJP leaders like Ram Jethmalani and Yashwant Sinha that Modi should be the party`s PM candidate. Other leaders have also reacted in the media to the debate leading to spilling out of the differences over the issue within the NDA.
"Whether to speak, who will speak or not speak, what he will say (on such an issue) is all decided by the Central Parliamentary Board. So if any question is asked by the media, then all leaders should say that a final decision on the issue will be taken by the Central Parliamentary Board," he said.
Singh had issued a similar directive earlier but it seems to have had little impact on the BJP leaders.
"I am making this appeal as our leaders usually behave within the prescribed limits and such comments hurt everybody. I am not going to make this appeal that I am making, again," he said.
The stern warning has come against the backdrop of JD-U openly opposing Modi`s candidature and ally Shiv Sena expressing support for Sushma Swaraj for the post of prime minister.
BJP is said to be under pressure from Sangh Parivar affiliates like VHP to declare Modi as the PM candidate but the party`s top brass is reportedly divided on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal