Don`t let loan defaulters contest polls: Bank employees to EC
Chandigarh: Claiming that banks were suffering huge losses due to bad debts, several bank employees have demanded that loan defaulters should not be allowed to contest Lok Sabha elections.
A letter in this regard has been written by All India Bank Employees Association (AIBEA) to Chief Election Commissioner, Punjab Bank Employees Federation Secretary Naresh Gaur said on Monday.
In the letter, bank employees have said nomination of candidates who are bank loan defaulters should be rejected and the rules regarding disqualification as provided in the Constitution and Representation of People Act, 1951 be suitably amended for this purpose.
"In the letter, we have demanded that bank loan defaulters should not be allowed to contest in the coming Lok Sabha elections and they also should be debarred from holding public offices," said Gaur.
He claimed bad loans of banks had shot up from Rs 39,030 crore in March 2008 to Rs 1.64 lakh crore as on March 31, 2013.
Banks had written off Rs 1.18 lakh crore bad loans in the last five years, which has adversely affected their profitability, he claimed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case