Don`t let Wal-Mart in, says CPI-M
New Delhi: The CPI-M Monday denounced US President Barack Obama for asking India to allow Wal-Mart to operate in Indian retail trade and asked the government not to succumb to American pressure.
The Communist Party of India-Marxist said it "objects to the remarks by Obama that India open the doors to Wal-Mart for retail trade and other American investments in India.
"The statement is a brazen attempt to pressurize the UPA (United Progressive Alliance) government to adopt such steps as opening multibrand retail to FDI".
"The Manmohan Singh government should not succumb to this pressure," the party added in a statement.
"The CPI-M wants the government not to open up retail trade to foreign supermarket chains which will endanger the livelihood of lakhs of small shopkeepers and traders."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read