Don`t pass resolutions on Narendra Modi-for-PM: Rajnath to state units
New Delhi: BJP president Rajnath Singh on Sunday passed a virtual gag order on state units not to pass any resolution demanding that Narendra Modi be declared the Prime Ministerial candidate and announced that a decision on the issue will be taken after consulting all top leaders.
Singh passed the strictures at a meeting of the Modi-headed BJP Election Campaign Committee, state unit presidents and organisation general secretaries here.
Modi was present in the meeting.
The BJP Chief`s comments have come against the backdrop of a resolution passed by the party`s Bihar unit yesterday that Modi be declared the Prime Ministerial candidate by the Central Parliamentary Board without delay.
He also reprimanded the Bihar unit office bearers, including leader of opposition in the Vidhan Parishad Sushil Modi, for passing the resolution. Singh said he is aware of his responsibilities and knows what decisions he needs to take and when to take them, party sources said.
Other state units were specifically asked by the BJP president not to pass such resolutions.
Party sources claimed Singh said in the BJP conclave that a decision in this regard will be taken by him after consulting all senior leaders.
The standard official line of the BJP has been that the decision on whether to declare a PM candidate, or whether it should be done before the Lok Sabha elections, as well as who should be the candidate, will be taken by the Central Parliamentary Board at the appropriate time.
Though there is an overwhelming demanding across the party cadre in favour of declaring Modi the PM candidate, some leaders are reportedly opposed to the idea.
BJP Parliamentary Party Chief LK Advani and Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, among others, are said to be against declaring Modi`s name.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!