Don`t pass resolutions on Narendra Modi-for-PM: Rajnath to state units
New Delhi: BJP president Rajnath Singh on Sunday passed a virtual gag order on state units not to pass any resolution demanding that Narendra Modi be declared the Prime Ministerial candidate and announced that a decision on the issue will be taken after consulting all top leaders.
Singh passed the strictures at a meeting of the Modi-headed BJP Election Campaign Committee, state unit presidents and organisation general secretaries here.
Modi was present in the meeting.
The BJP Chief`s comments have come against the backdrop of a resolution passed by the party`s Bihar unit yesterday that Modi be declared the Prime Ministerial candidate by the Central Parliamentary Board without delay.
He also reprimanded the Bihar unit office bearers, including leader of opposition in the Vidhan Parishad Sushil Modi, for passing the resolution. Singh said he is aware of his responsibilities and knows what decisions he needs to take and when to take them, party sources said.
Other state units were specifically asked by the BJP president not to pass such resolutions.
Party sources claimed Singh said in the BJP conclave that a decision in this regard will be taken by him after consulting all senior leaders.
The standard official line of the BJP has been that the decision on whether to declare a PM candidate, or whether it should be done before the Lok Sabha elections, as well as who should be the candidate, will be taken by the Central Parliamentary Board at the appropriate time.
Though there is an overwhelming demanding across the party cadre in favour of declaring Modi the PM candidate, some leaders are reportedly opposed to the idea.
BJP Parliamentary Party Chief LK Advani and Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, among others, are said to be against declaring Modi`s name.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers