Don’t plan to leave the BJP: Munde
New Delhi: Sulking BJP leader Gopinath Munde on Wednesday put to end the speculation over his reported plans to quit the party and join the Congress.
In a joint press conference with senior party leader Sushma Swaraj, Munde said, “I am in the BJP… I am not going to leave the BJP.”
The remarks came after Munde held talks with Swaraj amid speculation that he might quit the party.
The 62-year-old leader is disgruntled apparently after Gadkari, once his junior in state unit, spurned the former`s demands to make him the Opposition leader in the state Assembly and to make supporter Pandurang Phundkar the state BJP president in place of Sudhir Mungantiwar.
The crisis erupted recently over the appointment of a Gadkari loyalist Vikas Mathkari to the post of BJP Pune chief in place of Yogesh Gogagawale, a Munde loyalist.
Gadkari was junior to Munde in state politics and after he took over as the national president, Munde`s clout has gone down in the organization.
Munde today made it clear that there was no truth in the reports of him planning to switch to the Congress, and rejected reports that he had met senior Congress leader Ahmed Patel.
“I have never met Ahmed Patel,” Munde told reporters.
The BJP leader added that he was in touch with Sushma Swaraj all along, and added that he would also meet other senior party leaders.
When asked by reporters, Munde admitted that he was pained by some developments but added that he would discuss them with the party, not with the media.
Earlier, there was speculation that Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan along with Munde met Ahmed Patel, political secretary to the Congress president, but there was no confirmation.
The Maharashtra Chief Minister was also in Delhi to give an assessment to the party high command on the Munde issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr