Don’t plan to leave the BJP: Munde
New Delhi: Sulking BJP leader Gopinath Munde on Wednesday put to end the speculation over his reported plans to quit the party and join the Congress.
In a joint press conference with senior party leader Sushma Swaraj, Munde said, “I am in the BJP… I am not going to leave the BJP.”
The remarks came after Munde held talks with Swaraj amid speculation that he might quit the party.
The 62-year-old leader is disgruntled apparently after Gadkari, once his junior in state unit, spurned the former`s demands to make him the Opposition leader in the state Assembly and to make supporter Pandurang Phundkar the state BJP president in place of Sudhir Mungantiwar.
The crisis erupted recently over the appointment of a Gadkari loyalist Vikas Mathkari to the post of BJP Pune chief in place of Yogesh Gogagawale, a Munde loyalist.
Gadkari was junior to Munde in state politics and after he took over as the national president, Munde`s clout has gone down in the organization.
Munde today made it clear that there was no truth in the reports of him planning to switch to the Congress, and rejected reports that he had met senior Congress leader Ahmed Patel.
“I have never met Ahmed Patel,” Munde told reporters.
The BJP leader added that he was in touch with Sushma Swaraj all along, and added that he would also meet other senior party leaders.
When asked by reporters, Munde admitted that he was pained by some developments but added that he would discuss them with the party, not with the media.
Earlier, there was speculation that Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan along with Munde met Ahmed Patel, political secretary to the Congress president, but there was no confirmation.
The Maharashtra Chief Minister was also in Delhi to give an assessment to the party high command on the Munde issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?