Don`t play politics on Food Security Bill: Digvijay Singh to Narendra Modi
Bhopal: Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh on Monday asked Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to stop playing politics over the UPA government`s food security programme.
Reacting to Modi`s criticism of the Food Security Ordinance, Digvijay said it is "intended merely to ensure that food reached the poor."
"This was the main purpose of the Ordinance and it would be good if Modi does not do any politics on it," the Congress leader told reporters at the Raja Bhoj Airport this morning before going to New Delhi.
Attacking the UPA government over issuing the ordinance in a hurry, Modi had yesterday said "people are not getting two square meals a day. So, they have brought a law, irrespective of whether it is possible or not to give food to poor...To give the people a piece of paper containing a law that they will get food as a matter of right."
Modi also accused the Congress of hiding behind a veil of secularism to cover its failures.
However, Digvijay said while his party`s definition of secularism was very clear, but that of the BJP continued to be ambiguous.
"Under the Congress definition, secularism means one religion, one country and one culture but we do not know what exactly is the BJP`s definition of it," he said.
Singh said BJP veteran L K Advani`s definition of secularism did not tally with that of the Sangh Parivar.
He said religion should not have any place in politics and it should never be used for garnering votes.
To a question regarding a picture of Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan recently clicked with yoga guru Baba Ramdev, Singh alleged that Ramdev had a fake degree, he was using for fake medicines curing people and was under investigation by the CBI for the murder of his own guru Shanker Dev.
"Under such circumstances, Chouhan has demeaned himself by allowing himself to be seen with Baba Ramdev," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani