Don`t politicise Armed forces: Congress retorts on Army chief`s appointment
New Delhi: Congress on Saturday reacted sharply to BJP`s suggestion to postpone the decision on appointment of the next Army Chief till the elections are over, saying the opposition party should not politicise the armed forces.
"Do not politicise the armed forces. They have kept themselves out of politics.... It is one of the great strengths of Indian democracy. It is a professional decision where BJP has no role. As far as I know there is no procedure to consult the opposition party before taking a decision," party spokesman Shashi Tharoor told reporters.
His remarks came a day after the BJP sounded a word of caution to the government, saying the appointment should not be made in a hurry following reports that the Defence Ministry has initiated the process of making Vice Army Chief Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag as next Army Chief.
The BJP has asked government to avoid taking decision on the matter till elections are over.
The present army chief Gen Bikram Singh retires on July 31.
"I am not going into the specifics of any particular name but surely on the larger issue of naming the next General and reports about Lokpal appointment, we expect that when we are in the midst of elections, when the Model Code of Conduct is in force, at least till 16th of May all these things must be avoided," BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad had said.
Former Army Chief Gen VK Singh, when asked, said government should not "hurry" on making such appointments.
Singh, who has joined BJP and is contesting as its candidate from Ghaziabad, had days before his retirement initiated action against Suhag and imposed a disciplinary and vigilance ban, which was later lifted by the present Army Chief.
Tharoor also strongly justified the appointment of Naval Admiral RK Dhowan as new Navy chief saying the post was lying vacant for last three months.
He saw no wrong in the Prime Minister convening a meeting this month for the appointment of the Lokpal saying that the Search Committee for the purpose was set up months back and the appointment is part of the process and a natural continuation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi