Don’t project Modi as PM: Nitish told BJP
New Delhi: JD(U) leader and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar reportedly asked BJP president Nitin Gadkari not to project Narendra Modi as NDA’s Prime Ministerial candidate in 2014 polls.
Kumar during a meeting with the BJP chief in Delhi on July 25, sought an assurance in this regard, sources told Zee News.
During the meeting, Gadkari told Nitish that no decision has yet been taken on Narendra Modi being BJP’s Prime Ministerial choice, sources said. The BJP chief also assured the Bihar Chief Minister that when NDA decides on the PM candidate, all NDA allies including the JD(U) would also be taken into confidence.
The JD(U) leader told the BJP president that general elections are only one-and-half year left, so it would be better if NDA finalises its PM choice soon, sources added.
Sources in JD(U) maintained that if the BJP projects Modi as PM in 2014 elections, Nitish Kumar would have no hesitation in snapping ties with BJP.
JD(U) with 29 MPs in Parliament is the second largest coalition partner of the NDA after BJP.
Kumar, earlier in an interview to a newspaper, had stressed that the NDA nominee for the Prime Ministerial post for the 2014 Lok Sabha elections should be somebody with "secular credentials".
Following Nitish’s “secular PM” blabber, RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat had hit out at the Bihar Chief Minister.
“The country should have a Prime Minister who propounds hindutwa”, Bhagwat had said adding, “Nitish Kumar is scared to call himself a Hindu”.
Nitish and Modi, the two top NDA leaders are not on good terms. The Bihar chief minister, who enjoys strong support of Muslims, did not allow Modi to campaign both in 2005 Assembly elections as well as in 2010 polls.
Modi had twice tried to show that he and Kumar are not on bad terms by reaching him first at a NDA rally at Ludhiana during last general elections and recently at a CM`s meet in Delhi.
But Modi`s overtures did not end Kumar`s opposition to him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah