“Don`t put Kasab on death row waiting list"
Mumbai: Ajmal Kasab`s execution after he was
sent to gallows today may not happen soon but calls grew loud
that he be hanged quickly amid hopes the Pakistani gunman does
not end up being on the death row "waiting list".
Authorities were asked to show urgency in carrying out
the death sentence awarded to the 22-year-old Pakistani
gunman, which was welcomed across the political, legal and
civil society spectrum.
Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa was among those
who demanded that Kasab be hanged without delay.
"I don`t want any delay in hanging Kasab. I want fast
track hanging of Kasab", K Unnikrishnan, father of NSG Major
Sandeep Unnikrishnan, killed in the operation during the
Mumbai terror attack, said in Bangalore.
Unnikrishnan said Kasab should not be allowed to end up
being among the convicts who are on the death row "waiting
list" in the country. "Don`t put Kasab on death row waiting
list," he said.
His sentiments were shared by Kavita, wife of slain
Mumbai ATS chief Hemant Karkare, who said authorities should
brook no delay in carrying out the death sentence despite the
legal options available for Kasab like approaching the Supreme
"He (Kasab) should be hanged immediately," Kavita said.
Welcoming the capital punishment awarded to Kasab, BJP
chief Nitin Gadkari however said he was "not sure" whether the
sentence would be carried out.
"I am not sure. Afzal Guru (convicted for 2001 Parliament
attack) who was sentenced to death is still there," Gadkari
said in Panaji when asked by reporters whether the death
penalty would be carried out.
However, BJP spokesman Tarun Vijay asked the UPA
government not to delay the execution.
"Government should not delay his hanging. Kasab was a
terrorist and waged war against the Indian state. He should
not get the privileges under the Indian law," Vijay said in
Vijay`s sentiments were shared by the Congress MP from
Mumbai Sanjay Nirupam who said the whole exercise should not
be prolonged by way of mercy petitions and he should be
executed as soon as possible.
The chief of Mumbai`s Congress unit Kripashankar Singh
said, "The death sentence should be executed at the earliest."
Echoing similar sentiments, Maharashtra Navnirman Sena
(MNS) spokesman Shirish Parkar said people expect the
judgement to be implemented at the earliest. "We want to see
the noose around Kasab`s neck soon.
Vaishali, daughter of assistant police sub-inspector
Tukaram Ombale, who died while trying to capture Kasab during
26/11, said her father`s sacrifice had paid off but demanded
that his execution should not be delayed as in the case Afzal
Guru, who was sentenced to death in 2001 Parliament attack
case, but is now on the death row.
Since the government has given top priority to completing
court proceedings against Kasab, Vaishali said it should also
try to execute the death penalty to the terrorist at the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid