Don`t reopen very sensitive issues: Congress to NDA govt
New Delhi: Congress Wednesday asked the NDA government not to "reopen very sensitive issues" like abrogation of Article 370, Uniform Civil Code and Ram Mandir.
Party spokesman Shashi Tharoor also cautioned restraint on the issue of tackling infiltration in Assam contending that the problem cannot be solved by "wave of a wand" and "human lives are at stake".
Talking to reporters, Congress spokesperson Shashi Tharoor said, "We have taken a very clear position that this is not the time in the country to reopen very sensitive issues raised by several leaders."
He was asked about Press Council Chairman Justice Markandey Katju`s remarks that Uniform Civil Code must be implemented.
Such issues will distract the development message, he said, adding that the BJP-led coalition should "stick to the script".
Tharoor said that even calling public debate on such issues is "not an innocent" exercise.
On the issue of illegal immigration in Assam, he said, "At the moment, we urge that the government has an appropriate procedure to announce, this kind of irresponsible statement should not be made because it is really lighting a match at the petrol station."
"We would urge restraint and abundant caution and we say this from long experience of governance in a country which is full of far bigger challenges... We don`t treat people in an inhuman fashion and if we find that happening, we will be certainly speaking against it," he said.
His remarks came close on the heels of Union Minister of State for Home Kiran Rijiju terming as "a national problem" the issue of illegal migration from Bangladesh and promising action against those "infiltrators" staying in Indian territory.
The minister said this when reporters sought his comment on BJP Assam unit`s plan to launch `Bangladeshi bhagao abhiyan (push back Bangladeshis)` in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!