‘Don’t shift Rajiv`s assassins` appeals out of HC`
New Delhi: The Tamil Nadu government today
opposed in the Supreme Court a plea to shift out of the Madras
High Court the appeals of three Rajiv Gandhi assassins,
challenging their death penalty on account of an 11-year delay
in deciding their mercy petition by the President.
Tamil Nadu`s Additional Advocate General Gurukrishna
Kumar opposed the plea for transfer of the three convicts`
appeals out of the state high court, denying allegations made
before the apex court that the atmosphere in the state was too
"vitiated and surcharged" to hold a free and fair hearing in
Kumar also questioned the locus standi of petitioner L K
Venkat, seeking the apex court`s direction for transfer of the
case out of Madras High Court to the Supreme Court.
Senior counsel Ram Jethmalani, appearing for the three
convicts on death row, also opposed the transfer plea on the
ground that Article 139A (relating to transfer of certain
cases) gives power only to the Attorney General of India or
the aggrieved parties to file a petition for transfer.
Venkat`s counsel L Nandkumar, however, submitted that a
free and fair hearing of the proceedings cannot be held in the
Madras High Court owing to the "surcharged, hostile and
vitiated" atmosphere prevailing there.
After hearing the arguments by various parties, a bench of
justices G S Signhvi and S J Mukhopadhaya asked the state to
file a counter affidavit within a week and posted the matter
for further hearing to October 19.
The bench asked Tamil Nadu government to file a counter
affidavit on the plea for shifting appeals of the three
condemned prisoners in the assassination case out of the state
"Though the request made by the state additional advocate
general is unreasonable, we are granting time for filing the
counter affidavit," the bench said.
The judges were irked at Tamil Nadu government`s request
as it had failed to reply till date to its September 15 notice
On a petition by the three death row convicts, the Madras
High Court had earlier stayed their hanging and had issued
notices to the Centre and the Tamil Nadu government.
The three convicts--Santhan, Murugan and Perarivalan
alias Arivu--had challenged the sentence despite the same
having been upheld earlier by the apex court and the President
having rejected their mercy pleas subsequently.
Venkat subsequently had moved the apex court seeking
transfer of their appeals out of the state high court and the
apex court had issued notices on the petition to the state.
Venkat had alleged in his plea that the convicts` appeals
challenging their death sentences cannot be heard in a free
and fair atmosphere in the state as several supporters of the
banned LLTE were interfering with the functioning of the
judiciary by raising slogans in support of the convicts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark