Don’t shy away from Afghanistan: Karzai to India Inc
Mumbai: Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai on Saturday told India Inc not to be "shy" when it comes to investing in his mineral-rich country and pointed out to them of the gains reaped by the Chinese who invested early in the war-ravaged country.
"Indian businesses need not be shy when thinking of Afghanistan. Chinese businesses were there long before you came, five or six years ago. And they have now taken two or three major contracts," he said, addressing the captains of the industry here.
Karzai said his administration will do all things possible and accord special treatment to Indian investors.
"We would like to give you a better platform. We would like to welcome you on a red carpet and others on a grey carpet. But you need to arrive on the red carpet. If you don`t arrive on the red carpet, it will get dusty. Therefore, do hurry up in coming and take advantage of the opportunities in Afghanistan," Karzai told the industry leaders.
He, however, reminded them that there is strong competition in his country.
"Competition is strong. You have now competition from the West arriving in Afghanistan," said Karzai, who has been the head of government since 2001 following the US intervention and the ouster of the Taliban.
Karzai, on a four-day visit to the country, arrived here yesterday. On the second leg of his visit he will be in New Delhi where he is expected to ink four pacts in the field of mining, youth affairs, small development projects and fertiliser.
The meeting was organized under the aegis of CII, Ficci and Assocham and the participants included Adi Godrej of CII, Ficci`s R V Kanoria, Yes Bank managing director Rana Kapur among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Sarbananda Sonowal takes charge as Assam’s first BJP CM, PM Modi attends his swearing-in
- Desperate times, desperate measures! Parineeti Chopra's make-up ain’t gonna stop – See pic
- IPL 9 VIDEO: When Shikhar Dhawan, Yuvraj Singh became Gabbar and taxi driver
- First Talgo train trial on Bareilly-Moradabad rail route on May 29
- Rahul Gandhi to lead rally against AAP, BJP over Delhi power crisis