Don`t succumb to pressure from civil society: CWC
New Delhi: Toughening its stand against
Anna Hazare, the Congress Working Committee on Friday told the
Government not to appear weak and succumb to pressures from
the "self-appointed representatives" of civil society.
The first meeting of the reconstituted top policy
making body of the party was of the view that the government
should not be accepting demands of such groups as it will open
a pandora`s box in the democratic polity which has hues of
"The politics of pressure is not correct nor was the
attitude of my way or the high way" was the thrust of the
100-minute deliberations at the meet in a signal to Hazare,
who has announced an indefinite fast from August 16 if a
strong Lokpal bill is not passed by Parliament by that time.
The CWC meeting presided by party chief Sonia Gandhi
with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh by her side, however, left
the tricky issue of bringing the Prime Minister under the
ambit of Lokpal to the all party meeting scheduled on July 3.
Congress will also bring out a booklet giving party`s
detailed response on the Lokpal issue before the July 3 all
party meeting, it was decided at the CWC also attended by
"There was a general view that it will not to be
correct to concede demands, whenever a motley group of four to
five persons start making demands that contrary to the
Constitution. Any demand that hurts the democratic polity cannot be accepted," AICC general secretary Janardan Dwivedi told
reporters after the meeting.
He added that Congress will support "whatever the
government decides in consultation with various political
parties" when asked about the party`s view on bringing the
Prime Minister under Lokpal`s ambit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Eurozone business activity strong despite Brexit: Survey
- India does not play for rankings, says Virat Kohli
- US backs Amnesty over India sedition case, says it respects group's right to express freely
- ''No Indian hand in Nepal government change''
- Daddy's little girl Priyanka Chopra remembers father on his third birth anniversary! See pic