Don`t succumb to pressure from civil society: CWC
New Delhi: Toughening its stand against
Anna Hazare, the Congress Working Committee on Friday told the
Government not to appear weak and succumb to pressures from
the "self-appointed representatives" of civil society.
The first meeting of the reconstituted top policy
making body of the party was of the view that the government
should not be accepting demands of such groups as it will open
a pandora`s box in the democratic polity which has hues of
"The politics of pressure is not correct nor was the
attitude of my way or the high way" was the thrust of the
100-minute deliberations at the meet in a signal to Hazare,
who has announced an indefinite fast from August 16 if a
strong Lokpal bill is not passed by Parliament by that time.
The CWC meeting presided by party chief Sonia Gandhi
with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh by her side, however, left
the tricky issue of bringing the Prime Minister under the
ambit of Lokpal to the all party meeting scheduled on July 3.
Congress will also bring out a booklet giving party`s
detailed response on the Lokpal issue before the July 3 all
party meeting, it was decided at the CWC also attended by
"There was a general view that it will not to be
correct to concede demands, whenever a motley group of four to
five persons start making demands that contrary to the
Constitution. Any demand that hurts the democratic polity cannot be accepted," AICC general secretary Janardan Dwivedi told
reporters after the meeting.
He added that Congress will support "whatever the
government decides in consultation with various political
parties" when asked about the party`s view on bringing the
Prime Minister under Lokpal`s ambit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo