Don`t use my name in elections: Hazare to parties
Mumbai: After threatening to campaign
against Congress in five election-bound states if the UPA
government fails to get the Jan Lokpal Bill passed in the
Winter session of Parliament, Anna Hazare has asked political
parties not to use his name or photo during elections.
"This directive was given during a two-day meeting of
workers at Ralegan Siddhi," Hazare`s aide Suresh Pathare said.
The meeting of the functionaries of Bhrashtachar Virdodhi Jan
Andolan concluded yesterday at Hazare`s native village.
No party or candidate will be allowed to use Hazare`s
name or image or the name of his anti-corruption front during
poll campaign. Hazare has directed his activists to file cases
against political parties found using his name or photo during
elections, Pathare said.
At the meeting, Hazare also said he would undertake
another agitation if Maharashtra government does not take
adequate steps for strengthening the Lokayukta.
Hazare had in September written a letter to Chief
Minister Prithviraj Chavan, demanding a stronger Lokayukta in
At yesterday`s meeting, it was resolved that Hazare would
begin the stir if no concrete steps for a strong legislation
giving more powers to the Lokayukta are taken by the end of
the Winter session of the Legislature, beginning in Nagpur
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!