Don`t use my name in elections: Hazare to parties
Mumbai: After threatening to campaign
against Congress in five election-bound states if the UPA
government fails to get the Jan Lokpal Bill passed in the
Winter session of Parliament, Anna Hazare has asked political
parties not to use his name or photo during elections.
"This directive was given during a two-day meeting of
workers at Ralegan Siddhi," Hazare`s aide Suresh Pathare said.
The meeting of the functionaries of Bhrashtachar Virdodhi Jan
Andolan concluded yesterday at Hazare`s native village.
No party or candidate will be allowed to use Hazare`s
name or image or the name of his anti-corruption front during
poll campaign. Hazare has directed his activists to file cases
against political parties found using his name or photo during
elections, Pathare said.
At the meeting, Hazare also said he would undertake
another agitation if Maharashtra government does not take
adequate steps for strengthening the Lokayukta.
Hazare had in September written a letter to Chief
Minister Prithviraj Chavan, demanding a stronger Lokayukta in
At yesterday`s meeting, it was resolved that Hazare would
begin the stir if no concrete steps for a strong legislation
giving more powers to the Lokayukta are taken by the end of
the Winter session of the Legislature, beginning in Nagpur
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Hillary Clinton makes history as first woman White House nominee
- Venezuela government seeks to ban opposition over recall 'fraud'
- WHO declares Brazil free of measles
- Lok Sabha passes child labour Bill despite opposition from children's rights activists
- India unlikely to get Kohinoor diamond back, hints UK minister