Don`t want to commit suicide; I am sure govt will repeal AFSPA: Irom Sharmila
New Delhi: Irom Sharmila, who has been on fast for about 12 years demanding repeal of controversial AFSPA and was flown in here from Manipur to appear in a court case of attempted suicide, on Sunday said the voices of protest cannot be ignored for long.
Charged with Section 309 (attempt to commit suicide) of IPC for fasting at Jantar Mantar in Delhi, the 40-year-old has to appear before the court tomorrow.
"I am not committing suicide. This is my way of protest. I am protesting by non-violent means," she said after being brought to the capital this evening.
She said she was confident that government will listen to her and concede to her demand to revoke Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA). "If we keep fighting, the law will be repealed. Our voices will be heard.
"...Why is the government afraid of Army? Why is it appeasing the Army? Why can`t it take a decision for the good of the people," she said.
Sharmila had launched her fast unto death in 2000 after 10 civilians were killed by Assam Rifles personnel at Malom area near Imphal airport.
She is now in judicial custody and is being fed through her nose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why