Doordarshan not hiring hands for CWG: Soni
New Delhi: As Doordarshan goes into the high-definition mode for the Commonwealth Games, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni Monday said no new recruitments will be made in the national network for the event.
Admitting that there are large number of vacancies in Doordarshan, Soni said the recruitment board has been constituted by the government to fill up the vacancies.
"There are 5,097 vacancies but they are not for the Commonwealth Games, Doordarshan did not feel the need for recruit for the Games," Soni said replying to the supplementaries in the Rajya Sabha Monday.
The minister said that a Group of Ministers has been set up to look into the vacancies and its report will be submitted by the end of this month.
She added that training is being given to the present staff for the Games.
"Doordarshan has trained 300 personnel for Commonwealth Games and a large number of people are being deployed for doing the Rights Holding Broadcaster duties for exclusive coverage of the Games within the country," Soni said.
The minister said that a committee, of which she and union Law Minister Veerappa Moily are members, is looking into various issues related to the high definition telecast of the Games.
"There was an issue of extra light coming in some stadiums, the Organising Committee has assured that it will cover all those areas from where unnecessary light or sunlight is coming in," Soni said.
Some members had pointed out that sunlight in the stadiums may effect the quality of high definition telecast.
Doordarshan will go into high definition mode for the first time for the telecast of the Commonwealth Games Oct 3-14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video