Doors not closed for talking to Narendra Modi: Shia cleric
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: All India Muslim Personal Law Board deputy chief Maulana Kalbe Sadiq on Friday said Bharatiya Janata Party Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi is not a political untouchable for the minority community.
Underlining that doors are not closed for talking to Modi, a newspaper report quoted Maulana Sadiq as saying that the Gujarat Chief Minister can garner votes if he shows that he cares for Muslims.
"What (Mr Modi) did was wrong, but if he is willing to change then we are also willing to change. My religion says that (if) any criminal expresses regret then we should overlook the mistakes."
The noted scholar, however, added that it cannot be forgotten that the 63-year-old Modi did fail to prevent the Gujarat riots.
On being asked if Modi should seek forgiveness for the riots that are seen as the blot on his political career, Maulana Sadiq gave concession to the Gujarat CM and said: "It`s childish to demand an apology. He should display in his character and through his actions that he cares for Muslims."
Underlining that for India, communalism is a danger greater than Pakistan and China, the Muslim cleric said: "I would request him (Modi) to ensure that what happened in the past is not repeated and instead work for the development of India. He should focus on tackling the bigger problems facing our country”.
"I am not the custodian of all Muslims. But If I see that Modi is making changes then I will back him. I can`t say this for all Muslims, but I will personally back him. "
The Muslim community may not welcome the views of All India Muslim Personal Law Board deputy chief.
Meanwhile, religious leader Maulana Khalid Rashid said: "We are not thinking about Modi. It might be the personal opinion of Kalbe Sadiq".
Modi is called a divisive leader by his critics.
Notably, Muslims constitute 14 percent of India`s population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum