DoPT lists anti-graft measures as 2011 initiatives
New Delhi: Anti-graft measures including introduction of bills on Lokpal, protection of whistle blower and against bribery by foreigners as well as ratification of United Nations Convention Against Corruption have been listed as major initiatives taken by the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions in 2011.
Introduction of an anthem to create awareness on the Right to Information (RTI) Act and e-governance projects also found special mention in the latest annual report of the Ministry.
Giving details on the status of Lokpal bill, the Ministry said the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Bill, 2011 was passed with certain amendments in Lok Sabha whereas the Constitution 116th Amendment Bill, 2011 could not be passed with the requisite majority required for Constitutional amendments.
"The Lokpal and Lokayuktas Bill, 2011 was taken up for discussion and passing in the Rajya Sabha on December 29, 2011. The discussion remained inconclusive and the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Bill, 2011 are yet to be passed by the Rajya Sabha," the report said.
Recently, a Parliamentary Standing Committee had expressed its displeasure over the Minisrty`s report failing to mention its efforts on the Lokpal Bill.
"The Committee is constrained to note that the Annual Report of the Ministry does not mention the reference of the Lokpal Bill, 2011 to this Committee which was introduced following the government`s deliberations with the Joint Drafting Committee.
"...It may be mentioned that the Committee, in its report, had very strongly suggested for the constitutional status for Lokpal and Lokayuktas. The Committee, hopes that the Ministry would take adequate precaution in future to see that the Annual Report gives a complete account of developments or happenings of the relevant period," the panel had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day