`Dossier rejection unfortunate; Pak should act against Saeed`

Last Updated: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 15:21

Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: Terming the demand of Pakistan for more proof on last year’s Mumbai attack as “unfortunate”, India on Wednesday impressed upon Islamabad to act swiftly on the Interpol Red Corner notice issued against Lashkar-e-Toiba founder Hafiz Saeed.

“This (Interpol’s Red Corner notice on Saeed) is the vindication of what India says. The perpetrators of Mumbai attack will have to be brought to be justice. We have painstakingly collected evidence to convey the involvement of the persons,” External Affairs Minister SM Krishna told reporters today.

“It is very unfortunate that the Pakistan has rejected the dossier, but at the same time Interpol has given a Red Corner notice. I think the world should take note of these developments and come to their own conclusion,” the Minster added while reacting to
a question on whether Islamabad will take any action or not.
The Minster, however, added that India will “continue to impress on Pakistan” to act on terrorist organisations.

Pakistan Interior Minister Rehman Malik yesterday said that if India does not provide tangible information on the 26/11 attacks and the Samjhauta Express tragedy, Islamabad will not be responsible for any future terrorist attacks in India.

India had handed over the sixth dossier on the last year’s attack on Mumbai to Pakistan on August 21.

The Interpol yesterday issued Red Corner Notices against Saeed and mastermind of Mumbai terror strike Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi.

The Red Corner notice was issued against 59-year-old Saeed and Lakhvi (48) after a Mumbai court issued a non-bailable warrant against the two for their role in the November 26, 2008, attacks in the financial hub.

India had also sent proof and request for issuing a similar warrant against Lashker commander Zarar Shah and Abu Al Qama, to which the the Interpol has said that it was analysing the evidence against them.

In December last year, UN Security Council had imposed sanctions on Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD), front organisation of banned LeT, declaring it a terrorist outfit and labelled Saeed and Lakhvi as terrorists.

The Council had asked all member-countries to freeze their assets and imposed travel ban and arms embargo against them.



First Published: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 15:21

comments powered by Disqus