Doubt over Varun`s plan to bring Jan Lokpal Bill
New Delhi: Uncertainty surrounds BJP MP
Varun Gandhi`s plans to introduce the Jan Lokpal Bill of Anna
Hazare team as a private member`s bill in the current session
of Parliament which concludes on September 8.
Parliament sources said a private member`s bill requires
at least one month`s prior notice before its introduction in
They said while a notice has been given to Lok Sabha
Speaker Meira Kumar, it could have come up in this session
only if it had been handed over before August 8.
If a such a bill is not taken up in the session for
which the notice has been given, it does not lapse but
requires a ballot process for being taken up in the next
session. There is a long queue of private members` bills, they
The sources said a number of private member`s bills were
not taken up in the past during an entire Lok Sabha and those
bills had lapsed and a repeat of the process was required in
the new Lok Sabha.
The only time a private member`s bill could be passed was
in 1956. After Feroze Gandhi had made a powerful case, his
bill enacting Parliamentary Proceedings (Protection of
Publication) Act was adopted.
Varun Gandhi has said that he would move the bill next
On whether his party supported him on the issue, the BJP
MP from Pilibhit in Uttar Pradesh said, "What is of more
interest to me is whether the nation is benefiting."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!