Doubt over Varun`s plan to bring Jan Lokpal Bill
New Delhi: Uncertainty surrounds BJP MP
Varun Gandhi`s plans to introduce the Jan Lokpal Bill of Anna
Hazare team as a private member`s bill in the current session
of Parliament which concludes on September 8.
Parliament sources said a private member`s bill requires
at least one month`s prior notice before its introduction in
They said while a notice has been given to Lok Sabha
Speaker Meira Kumar, it could have come up in this session
only if it had been handed over before August 8.
If a such a bill is not taken up in the session for
which the notice has been given, it does not lapse but
requires a ballot process for being taken up in the next
session. There is a long queue of private members` bills, they
The sources said a number of private member`s bills were
not taken up in the past during an entire Lok Sabha and those
bills had lapsed and a repeat of the process was required in
the new Lok Sabha.
The only time a private member`s bill could be passed was
in 1956. After Feroze Gandhi had made a powerful case, his
bill enacting Parliamentary Proceedings (Protection of
Publication) Act was adopted.
Varun Gandhi has said that he would move the bill next
On whether his party supported him on the issue, the BJP
MP from Pilibhit in Uttar Pradesh said, "What is of more
interest to me is whether the nation is benefiting."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’