Dow Chemicals opposes higher compensation
New Delhi: Dow Chemicals, which owns Union
Carbide since 2001, has opposed in the Supreme Court the
petition filed by the Centre for enhancement of compensation
from Rs 750 crore to Rs 7,700 crore for the victims of 1984
Bhopal gas tragedy, the world’s worst industrial disaster.
In an affidavit, Dow Chemicals has said it will not pay
more compensation for Bhopal victims as the settlement reached
in 1989 for USD 470 million was more than adequate and fair.
The company further said the Union Carbide Corporation
had no involvement in the Bhopal plant operations as the plant
was managed by Indians in India.
Dow Chemicals also pointed out that the amount paid as
compensation was three times more than envisaged under Indian
laws, which was not challenged for two decades.
The affidavit was filed in response to the notice issued
by the apex court on February 28 this year when it decided to
revisit its 21-year-old judgment that allowed Union Carbide
Corporation (UCC) to escape by paying a mere Rs 750-crore
compensation to hundreds of victims.
The curative petitions filed by the Centre had questioned
The government has sought a compensation of Rs 7,700
crore, saying the damages decided in 1989 were on the basis of
the assessment at that time that there were 3,000 deaths,
20,000 people with serious injuries and 50,000 with minor
ones. It said the death figure now stood at 5,295, with 35,000
people suffering from serious injuries and 5.27 lakh from
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- BCCI announces full-strength squad for Bangladesh, Harbhajan Singh makes Test return
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared