Downfall of UPA govt has begun: BJP
New Delhi: Complimenting Mamata Bannerjee for the "bold stand" her party has taken by withdrawing support to UPA, BJP Tuesday claimed the downfall of the central government has started and raised questions on its stability.
"The beginning of the downfall of the UPA government has started. Practically, it is now a Congress government... After the withdrawal of support by Trinamool Congress, a serious question mark is there on the stability of this government," BJP chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad told reporters here.
"We need to applaud and compliment Mamataji for taking such a bold stand, purely in the interest of the people of the country," he said.
Prasad said BJP will decide soon after consultations within and with NDA allies on whether there is a need for convening a special session of Parliament in the wake of withdrawal of TMC support to UPA.
The BJP leader said the way Mamata and her TMC collegues were forced to take this decision, it "amply indicates the supreme arrogance" of Congress.
"It is not in the DNA of Congress to have a dialogue and trust the allies and that we are seeing and noticing with repeated regularity. The sheer arrogance that `we can rule and others have to follow` is the biggest folly of the central government, which is now a Congress government."
He said the government is now increasingly drifting towards minority and "it is very important that no decision in a hurry be taken, which this government is prone to, so that people of the country continue to suffer as they have in UPA-II."
"Forget the political parties in opposition, even the allies are not taken on-board," Prasad said.
He said Mamata has reiterated BJP`s stand that the decision on FDI in retail has been taken by Congress-led UPA government in a bid to divert the attention from the "coalgate scam".
He attacked Congress for taking "unilateral decisions" and said FDI in retail decision affected over five crore people and it was taken allegedly without consultating anybody.
BJP spokesperson Prakash Javdekar dubbed the Trinamool Congress` withdrawal of support from the UPA government as a reflection of "arrogance of power" in Congress.
"...This is a kind of arrogance of Congress which now is recoiling on them. That is Congress` politics," Javdekar told reporters here after the announcement of TMC chief Mamata Banerjee.
He said UPA allies have been complaining that they are not consulted on key issues.
"The Prime Minister had promised to take a decision on FDI in multi-brand retail only after consulting to allies and speaking to everyone else. But neither did he consult the Opposition not speak to everyone," the BJP spokesperson said.
"This is Congress` arrogance of power...It takes granted all allies and everybody and the whole decision of retail and diesel price hike was taken only to divert the attention of the nation from the issue of coal scam in which Congress is neck deep in corruption," he said.
Noting that people are aggrieved with the Centre`s latest moves, Javdekar said the Bharat bandh call given on Thursday will be a "great success because people are suffering and people are angry on this government".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in