`Dr Death Patel performed unnecessary surgeries`
Melbourne: An Australian court hearing
the manslaughter case against Indian-American doctor Jayant
Patel was today told that the surgery he performed on four men
at Bundaberg Hospital were grossly negligent and unnecessary.
Prosecutor Ross Martin has over the past two days
taken the jury in Patel`s Supreme Court trial through the
evidence relating to the three manslaughter charges and one
count of grievous bodily harm to which Patel has pleaded not
guilty, an ABC report said Thursday.
Martin also referred to the law relating to Patel`s
duty to carry out surgery with reasonable care and skill.
Martin said the only exception to that legal duty was
in cases of necessity and that none of the operations which
are part of the charges against Patel were necessary or
He said the Crown`s case is that not only were the
operations negligent, but grossly negligent and they deserve
Patel has pleaded not guilty to the manslaughter of
Mervyn Morris, Gerardus Kemps and James Phillips during his
time as director of surgery at the Bundaberg Base Hospital
between 2003 and 2005.
He has also pleaded not guilty to the grievous bodily
harm of Ian Vowles.
Patel was dubbed as `Dr Death` by the Australian media
after the case was highlighted, he was later extradited from
the US to undergo trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video