`Dr Death Patel performed unnecessary surgeries`
Melbourne: An Australian court hearing
the manslaughter case against Indian-American doctor Jayant
Patel was today told that the surgery he performed on four men
at Bundaberg Hospital were grossly negligent and unnecessary.
Prosecutor Ross Martin has over the past two days
taken the jury in Patel`s Supreme Court trial through the
evidence relating to the three manslaughter charges and one
count of grievous bodily harm to which Patel has pleaded not
guilty, an ABC report said Thursday.
Martin also referred to the law relating to Patel`s
duty to carry out surgery with reasonable care and skill.
Martin said the only exception to that legal duty was
in cases of necessity and that none of the operations which
are part of the charges against Patel were necessary or
He said the Crown`s case is that not only were the
operations negligent, but grossly negligent and they deserve
Patel has pleaded not guilty to the manslaughter of
Mervyn Morris, Gerardus Kemps and James Phillips during his
time as director of surgery at the Bundaberg Base Hospital
between 2003 and 2005.
He has also pleaded not guilty to the grievous bodily
harm of Ian Vowles.
Patel was dubbed as `Dr Death` by the Australian media
after the case was highlighted, he was later extradited from
the US to undergo trial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?