Dr Patel`s manslaughter trial adjourns
Melbourne: The ongoing trial of Indian-American doctor Jayant Patel in an Australian court has been adjourned due to some legal matters. The trial in Brisbane Supreme Court has lost its seventh sitting Tuesday after the jury was sent home without hearing any evidence when legal matters arose for the second day in a row.
The 60-year old Patel is accused of causing deaths of three Queensland patients -- James Phillips, 46, Mervyn Morris, 75, and Gerardus Kemp, 77 -- and permanently injuring
another when he performed operations as director of surgery at the Bundaberg Base Hospital between 2003 and 2005.
The jury was expected to hear the final leg of the crown case involving allegations that Patel was responsible for the death of patient James Phillips, according to `Courier Mail` newspaper.
The court has heard Phillips died two days after Patel performed an oesophagectomy operation on him in May, 2003.
Patel, accused of manslaughter, has been dubbed as `Dr Death` by the media here, and was extradited from the US for a trial last year.
Patel has pleaded not guilty to unlawfully killing three patients and causing grievous bodily harm to a fourth one.
His trial was also adjourned on Friday due to a legal matter.
The former director of medical services at the Bundaberg Base Hospital, Darren Keating, has been listed to give evidence tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?