Dr RK Sinha appointed as new BARC Director
Mumbai: Dr Ratan Kumar Sinha, who is closely
associated with the design and development of India`s first
thorium based Advanced Heavy Water Reactor, will be the new
Director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC).
Sources in the Department of Atomic Energy told PTI today
that Sinha`s appointment has been cleared by the Union
Government. A formal announcement is expected this week.
Sinha will be taking over from Dr S Banerjee, who had
been holding the post of BARC director and Chairman of Atomic
Energy Commission (AEC).
Born on October 23, 1950, Sinha, a mechanical engineer of
the 16th batch of BARC training school, is currently the
director of Reactor Design Development Group of BARC, the
country`s premier nuclear research centre.
He has been working on the country`s design and
development of India`s first thorium-based Advanced Heavy
Water Reactor for the last 15 years, the sources said.
Banerjee is likely to hand over charge to Sinha during
this week, the sources said.
Dr Banerjee was appointed as Chairman of AEC and
secretary in the Department of Atomic Energy in November last
year. He has been holding the post of BARC director since
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Landslides close Jammu-Srinagar highway; Amarnath Yatra suspended
- Italian leaders vow to prevent terrorist attacks
- UN chief voices concern over Turkey situation
- Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will commence at this breathtaking location – See pic
- WATCH: How Sri Lanka's mystery spinner Lakshan Sandakan left Australia spellbound