Dr RK Sinha appointed as new BARC Director
Mumbai: Dr Ratan Kumar Sinha, who is closely
associated with the design and development of India`s first
thorium based Advanced Heavy Water Reactor, will be the new
Director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC).
Sources in the Department of Atomic Energy told PTI today
that Sinha`s appointment has been cleared by the Union
Government. A formal announcement is expected this week.
Sinha will be taking over from Dr S Banerjee, who had
been holding the post of BARC director and Chairman of Atomic
Energy Commission (AEC).
Born on October 23, 1950, Sinha, a mechanical engineer of
the 16th batch of BARC training school, is currently the
director of Reactor Design Development Group of BARC, the
country`s premier nuclear research centre.
He has been working on the country`s design and
development of India`s first thorium-based Advanced Heavy
Water Reactor for the last 15 years, the sources said.
Banerjee is likely to hand over charge to Sinha during
this week, the sources said.
Dr Banerjee was appointed as Chairman of AEC and
secretary in the Department of Atomic Energy in November last
year. He has been holding the post of BARC director since
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police