Draft charges filed against Abu Jundal in 26/11 case
Mumbai: Mumbai police on Friday filed draft charges against alleged Lashkar-e-Toiba operative Sayed Zabiuddin Ansari alias Abu Jundal in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack case in the court here.
"The process of framing of charges will start next month," said Jundal`s lawyer, advocate Ejaz Naqvi.
Police are pressing charges against him on 22 counts, including criminal conspiracy, waging war against the nation, murder, kidnapping for murder, cheating and forgery under the Indian Penal Code.
Besides, there are charges under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, Explosive Act, Explosive Substance Act, Prevention of Damage to Public Property Act, Railways Act and Customs Act.
Jundal, a native of Beed district of Maharashtra, was arrested by Delhi police after his deportation from Saudi Arabia in June 2012.
He was allegedly a key conspirator and was present in the `control room` in Pakistan from where the terrorists who carried out multiple attacks in Mumbai in November 2008 -- leaving 166 dead -- were receiving instructions.
According to Jundal`s confession, LeT training camps in Pakistan enjoyed full support from local, federal police and paramilitary organisations there.
Jundal was originally wanted in 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case in Maharashtra. In May 2006, he escaped to Bangladesh and later to Pakistan.
In Maharashtra he is also accused of involvement the 2010 German Bakery blasts in Pune and and Nashik Police Academy attack conspiracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra