Draft Lokpal Bill expected to be ready by June 30: Law Minister
Bangalore: The government intends to complete
the draft of the Lokpal Bill by June 30 and table it in the
monsoon session of parliament, Union Law Minister M Veerappa
Moily said on Tuesday.
With allegations levelled against some civil society
members of the joint committee on the Lokpal bill, Moily said
"we should not give more credence to such allegations.
Arguments and counter-arguments should not dilute such an
"What is important is the dedication, willingness and
determination to table the important bill. When the government
is determined to table the bill, all others should cooperate",
To another question, Moily said the draft bill would be
formulated by all the members of the joint committee. "All
their views will be taken into account and the bill will
be formulated through a consensus".
He said even though social activist Anna Hazare did not
indicate the deadline for drafting the Lokpal Bill, "suo moto
we want to complete it (drafting) by June 30 and we aim to
introduce the bill in the monsoon session of parliament".
"Emotions aside, all of us need to work together to bring
out a strong Lokpal Bill", he said responding to a query on
the threat by Karnataka Lokayukta Justice Santosh Hegde, a
committee member, that he was contemplating to quit the panel
as he was fed up with the allegations against its members.
Refusing to comment on the sense of hurt expressed by Hegde
over Congress leader Digvijay Singh`s statements, Moily said
"people are entitled to their emotions. I would not like to
comment on this. However, what is important is the
implementation of a strong Lokpal Bill".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog