DRDO developing laser-based bomb disposal kit
New Delhi: DRDO is developing a laser-based
system which can neutralise land mines and improvised
explosive devices (IEDs) from a distance of 250 metres without
risking the lives of troops.
"We are in the process of developing the Laser Ordnance
Disposal System (LORDS) which can be used for neutralizing
mines, IEDs and other forms of explosives, planted by
terrorists, from a distance of up to 250 meters," DRDO`s
Laser Science and Technology Centre (LASTEC) Director
A K Maini said here.
The system directs a high-energy invisible infrared beam
on the target, which can be anything from land mines, IEDs or
old bombs in the forces` inventory, and burns the explosive
material inside them and renders them useless, he added.
LASTEC, working on directed energy laser systems and
technologies, has already developed a prototype of the system,
which has been extensively tested on various types of
Once developed, the system could be used by Army and
paramilitary personnel in insurgency-infested states such as
Jammu and Kashmir, Northeast and the Naxal-affected areas,
"Neutralization of ordnance is a hazardous process that
is prone to accidents and casualties. LORDS can help in safe
disposal of ordnances," Maini said while referring to the huge
stockpiles of ammunition that have outlived their shelf lives.
LASTEC is also working on the concept of developing
another high power laser system that can be used to set
terrorists` hideouts on fire from a safe distance of over 300
meters without exposing personnel to the firing from
Post 26/11, DRDO has increased its focus on urban warfare
and has opened a Low Intensity Conflict (LIC) Division that
would cater to weapons, equipment and life support systems for
the paramilitary and police forces.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today