DRDO developing laser-based bomb disposal kit
New Delhi: DRDO is developing a laser-based
system which can neutralise land mines and improvised
explosive devices (IEDs) from a distance of 250 metres without
risking the lives of troops.
"We are in the process of developing the Laser Ordnance
Disposal System (LORDS) which can be used for neutralizing
mines, IEDs and other forms of explosives, planted by
terrorists, from a distance of up to 250 meters," DRDO`s
Laser Science and Technology Centre (LASTEC) Director
A K Maini said here.
The system directs a high-energy invisible infrared beam
on the target, which can be anything from land mines, IEDs or
old bombs in the forces` inventory, and burns the explosive
material inside them and renders them useless, he added.
LASTEC, working on directed energy laser systems and
technologies, has already developed a prototype of the system,
which has been extensively tested on various types of
Once developed, the system could be used by Army and
paramilitary personnel in insurgency-infested states such as
Jammu and Kashmir, Northeast and the Naxal-affected areas,
"Neutralization of ordnance is a hazardous process that
is prone to accidents and casualties. LORDS can help in safe
disposal of ordnances," Maini said while referring to the huge
stockpiles of ammunition that have outlived their shelf lives.
LASTEC is also working on the concept of developing
another high power laser system that can be used to set
terrorists` hideouts on fire from a safe distance of over 300
meters without exposing personnel to the firing from
Post 26/11, DRDO has increased its focus on urban warfare
and has opened a Low Intensity Conflict (LIC) Division that
would cater to weapons, equipment and life support systems for
the paramilitary and police forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog