DRDO offers weapons, UAVs to police to fight extremists
New Delhi: India`s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) that has hitherto been catering to the demands of the armed forces, is now offering Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) and other weapons and equipment to the paramilitary forces and the state police forces for their operations against the Maoists and other extremists.
"We have told the paramilitary forces and the state police forces at various forums that we can provide UAVs and weapons for use in low intensity conflict zones. These weapons would be customised to their needs," a top DRDO official said at the DefExpo land and naval systems exhibition.
"Talks with some of them are in an advanced stage. The terms and conditions under which weapons and other equipment would be given to the police and paramilitary forces are being worked out," the official added.
Also on offer are mobile jammers, night vision devices and surveillance systems.
For the first time, DRDO has set up a stall at the exhibition focusing on equipment used in low intensity conflicts.
- Indian Premier League 9: Gujarat Lions' Ravindra Jadeja reprimanded for showing dissent at umpire's decision
- Holiday video alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput’s oceanic vacation
- NBSE 10th & 12th Results 2016: Nagaland.gov.in Board, NBSE HSLC & HSSLC Results 2016 to be declared on May 3
- MUST WATCH: Kargil martyr's daughter's message to India and Pakistan on Facebook - `Enough is enough`
- Hubble spots galaxy hidding in night sky – See pic!