`DRDO projects, including LCA, behind schedule`
New Delhi: Four major DRDO projects including Light Combat Aircraft, Airborne Early Warning and Control System (AEWC) and Kaveri engine are running behind schedule resulting in increase in their development cost, Lok Sabha was informed on Monday.
"LCA Phase II, Naval LCA, AEW and C and Kaveri are the projects sanctioned by the Cabinet Committee on Security for which probable dates of completion (PDC) have been extended and costs have been enhanced," Defence Minister A K Antony said in written reply.
"The PDC and cost of these projects have been revised due to various reasons like change in scope, ab-initio development of technologies and denial of technologies by the advanced countries, extended trials and increase in cost of materials and manpower," he said.
The LCA project has been going on for the last over 25 years and the air rorce and the navy are waiting for their delivery.
Similarly, the Kaveri engine project for LCA is still in trial phases and DRDO has been importing US-made engines for the aircraft`s trials.
To another query, Antony said, "In view of the sensitive defence installations in south Mumbai and associated security concerns, a Maharashtra government proposal for setting up a helipad at Nariman Point has been agreed to."
He also said as per unauthenticated data, Pakistan and China spent around 3.1 and 1.4 per cent of their GDP respectively in 2010 in the defence sector.
The Minister said though the government keeps an eye on the developments in neighbouring countries which may have impact on national security, it is difficult to compare defence spending due to lack of non-availability of accurate and latest-published data.
On clearances for oil and gas blocks, Antony said, "46 blocks--38 on eastern and eight on western sea board-- have not been cleared from defence security angle on account of overlapping with DRDO missile ranges in Andhra Pradesh and Odisha, air force firing range and naval exercise area."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Uttarakhand Board Class 12th Examination Results 2016: Uttarakhand Board (UK) Class 12th Results 2016, Uttarakhand Class 12 Results 2016 to be declared on May 25
- Virat Kohli has been advised rest by Team India physiotherapist after IPL 2016: Sandeep Patil
- We are looking at future of Indian cricket: Sandeep Patil on Yuvraj, Harbhajan's axing
- If you survive in Mumbai cricket, you get rewarded: Shardul Thakur on maiden Test call-up
- Shah Rukh Khan remembers his school days, wonders how time has changed! Details inside