DRDO slow in implementing suggestions: Antony
New Delhi: Observing that the DRDO was
"slow" in implementing recommendations of a committee formed
to improve it functioning, Defence Minister AK Antony today
said "many deficiencies" in the research body would be tackled
if the suggestions are fully implemented.
Deviating from his written speech at the DRDO Directors`
Conference here, he also warned the DRDO against any lack of
transparency in its collaborations with other firms and said
he would not hesitate in cancelling any such tie-ups in case
any wrongdoings were found.
"To be frank, the Rama Rao Committee recommendations are
being implemented slowly... Many deficiencies would be taken
care of if it is fully implemented," Antony said.
"I have already directed implementation of the
committee`s recommendations... On my part, I assure you that
we will give a serious consideration to the Defence Technology
Council," he said.
The government had constituted a committee under P Rama
Rao to suggest measures for improving the functioning of the
DRDO whose several projects have suffered long delays.
Some of the recommendations of the committee were to
restructure the DRDO and make it a leaner organisation. It had
also recommended setting up of a commercial arm of the DRDO.
Commenting on the delays in the defence projects, Antony
said, "Delivery delayed is delivery denied. No doubt, there
may be a few legitimate reasons for the delay but we must make
every effort to strictly adhere to timelines."
Voicing concern on delays, Defence Secretary Shashikant
Sharma said, "It has resulted in lag in technology with the
role of self-reliance taking a severe beating."
"In a bid to give boost research and development,
transfer of technology (ToT) will soon be a part of the offset
component of defence contracts," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal