DRDO slow in implementing suggestions: Antony
New Delhi: Observing that the DRDO was
"slow" in implementing recommendations of a committee formed
to improve it functioning, Defence Minister AK Antony today
said "many deficiencies" in the research body would be tackled
if the suggestions are fully implemented.
Deviating from his written speech at the DRDO Directors`
Conference here, he also warned the DRDO against any lack of
transparency in its collaborations with other firms and said
he would not hesitate in cancelling any such tie-ups in case
any wrongdoings were found.
"To be frank, the Rama Rao Committee recommendations are
being implemented slowly... Many deficiencies would be taken
care of if it is fully implemented," Antony said.
"I have already directed implementation of the
committee`s recommendations... On my part, I assure you that
we will give a serious consideration to the Defence Technology
Council," he said.
The government had constituted a committee under P Rama
Rao to suggest measures for improving the functioning of the
DRDO whose several projects have suffered long delays.
Some of the recommendations of the committee were to
restructure the DRDO and make it a leaner organisation. It had
also recommended setting up of a commercial arm of the DRDO.
Commenting on the delays in the defence projects, Antony
said, "Delivery delayed is delivery denied. No doubt, there
may be a few legitimate reasons for the delay but we must make
every effort to strictly adhere to timelines."
Voicing concern on delays, Defence Secretary Shashikant
Sharma said, "It has resulted in lag in technology with the
role of self-reliance taking a severe beating."
"In a bid to give boost research and development,
transfer of technology (ToT) will soon be a part of the offset
component of defence contracts," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune