DRDO slow in implementing suggestions: Antony
New Delhi: Observing that the DRDO was
"slow" in implementing recommendations of a committee formed
to improve it functioning, Defence Minister AK Antony today
said "many deficiencies" in the research body would be tackled
if the suggestions are fully implemented.
Deviating from his written speech at the DRDO Directors`
Conference here, he also warned the DRDO against any lack of
transparency in its collaborations with other firms and said
he would not hesitate in cancelling any such tie-ups in case
any wrongdoings were found.
"To be frank, the Rama Rao Committee recommendations are
being implemented slowly... Many deficiencies would be taken
care of if it is fully implemented," Antony said.
"I have already directed implementation of the
committee`s recommendations... On my part, I assure you that
we will give a serious consideration to the Defence Technology
Council," he said.
The government had constituted a committee under P Rama
Rao to suggest measures for improving the functioning of the
DRDO whose several projects have suffered long delays.
Some of the recommendations of the committee were to
restructure the DRDO and make it a leaner organisation. It had
also recommended setting up of a commercial arm of the DRDO.
Commenting on the delays in the defence projects, Antony
said, "Delivery delayed is delivery denied. No doubt, there
may be a few legitimate reasons for the delay but we must make
every effort to strictly adhere to timelines."
Voicing concern on delays, Defence Secretary Shashikant
Sharma said, "It has resulted in lag in technology with the
role of self-reliance taking a severe beating."
"In a bid to give boost research and development,
transfer of technology (ToT) will soon be a part of the offset
component of defence contracts," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended