DRI arrests Pakistani national
New Delhi: A Pakistani national, found in possession of nearly Rs 3 lakh fake Indian currency notes (FICN) has been arrested by the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) sleuths.
Acting on a tip-off, DRI sleuths arrested 37-year-old Mohammad Tahir on Friday near old Delhi Railway station where he had gone to hand over Rs 2.93 lakh FICN to one of his accomplices, sources said.
Tahir`s aide, however, managed to flee from the spot. "A hunt is on to nab his associate," a DRI official said.
Tahir, a resident of Lahore, had come to India via Samjhauta Express along with his mother. They were to visit their relatives in Rampur in Uttar Pradesh.
"He was using a unique modus operandi of hiding FICN in ladies foot wear (slippers). The FCN were in denomination of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000. Tahir was also carrying dental equipments and medicinal oil and ointments of a Pakistan-based firm," the official said.
DRI officials also visited Tahir`s relatives` place in Rampur to carry out a detailed check. They said his mother was let off after necessary interrogation.
Officials said the fake currency seized from Tahir`s possession is of very high quality. The DRI officials are trying to get information about the people who made Tahir smuggle FICN to India.
"Tahir was arrested under the Customs Act and produced before a court here. He was offered bail immediately on a surety of Rs five lakh. But since he could not fulfill the bail condition, the court sent him to judicial custody," said R K Sharma, Additional Director General, Delhi Zonal Unit of DRI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured