DRI seizes contraband worth Rs 35 crore
New Delhi: The Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) has claimed to have unearthed an international drug racket with the arrest of two businessmen and seizure of 352 kg of party drug `Ketamine` being smuggled to Malaysia.
The drug worth around Rs 35 crore in the international market was being smuggled to Malaysia from the Air Cargo complex at the Indira Gandhi International airport here.
The duo, Paramjeet Singh Gulati (Kingpin) and his associate, Atul Kumar Agarwal, have been arrested by DRI sleuths. Both of them have been sent to 14 days judicial custody by a Delhi court.
The officials have also seized about Rs 1.60 crore cash, said to be the sale proceedings of narcotics, and two luxury cars-- Toyota Innova and Lancer --from the searches carried out at their premises.
Acting on a specific input, the Delhi Zonal Unit of the DRI in an operation conducted late night on July 18 at the Air Cargo Complex intercepted the consignment containing 151.980 Kg of Ketamine concealed in pouches, said to contain Mehndi (Henna) powder and other cosmetic items like bangle boxes, vanity box etc, an official said.
Following this further searches were carried out at various office, residential and godown premises of the accused, which resulted in further recovery of 200 Kgs of Ketamine concealed in solutions of rose water, liquid glucose, refined glycerin and ethyle acetate.
Ketamine is used as anaesthesia for treating animals. However, the drug is commonly abused in rave parties as sedatives.
DRI officials have also recovered different types of packing material like mehndi powder, glass bangle box, vanity box, ladies pouch purses among others used to conceal the contraband in the shipments.
Along with the contraband goods, various other incriminating documents, including record of voluminous hawala transactions, letter heads, forged Import Export Code (IEC) certificates and a number of rubber stamps were also recovered.
IEC is a unique 10 digit code issued by Director General of Foreign Trade, Ministry of Commerce to Indian Companies. IEC is mandatory for import or export in India.
"The modus operandi adopted by the syndicate was to procure huge quantities of Ketamine and to export the same in the name of forged particulars of various exporters," he said.
The two vehicles used for ferrying the drugs-Toyota Innova and Lancer car were also seized by DRI, the official said.
DRI has also found papers related to previous shipments sent by the accused.
"It is a big seizure. We are investigating the case and trying to enquire about old consignments sent by them. We may also recommend the case to Enforcement Directorate (ED) to probe money laundering," the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared