Drunkards should be flogged, says Anna
New Delhi: Noted social activist and anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare wants those who drink should be beaten and humiliated in public, which, he believes, will force them to get rid of their habit of drinking.
Anna made this controversial statement in an interview to a leading TV news channel, where he advocated that the public humiliation of such people will help them give up drinking.
However, the Gandhian also advocated giving prior warnings to drinkers before taking such steps.
The anti-corruption crusader, while explaining how he got people in his native village give up drinking, said, “We will give three warnings because after all they are our people. But after the warnings, we drag that person to the temple and make him promise that he will never drink again in his life. Even after all this if they continued, we used to tie him in a pole near the temple and beat him."
The controversial statement made by the 74-year-old Gandhian activist is set to raise the political temperature since he has come under criticism for suggesting that those who drink should be flogged.
In his reaction, Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari equated Anna’s suggestion to the way Taliban used to punish those who did not comply with the Sharia law.
"I think the Taliban used to say the same thing. By that analogy, you will possibly have to flog half of Kerala, three-fourth of Andhra Pradesh and about four-fifth of Punjab. So, I think that is quite a tall order." He was quoted as saying.
Meanwhile, BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman also ridiculed his suggestion and said that her party does not support such radical methods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand