Drunkards should be flogged, says Anna
New Delhi: Noted social activist and anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare wants those who drink should be beaten and humiliated in public, which, he believes, will force them to get rid of their habit of drinking.
Anna made this controversial statement in an interview to a leading TV news channel, where he advocated that the public humiliation of such people will help them give up drinking.
However, the Gandhian also advocated giving prior warnings to drinkers before taking such steps.
The anti-corruption crusader, while explaining how he got people in his native village give up drinking, said, “We will give three warnings because after all they are our people. But after the warnings, we drag that person to the temple and make him promise that he will never drink again in his life. Even after all this if they continued, we used to tie him in a pole near the temple and beat him."
The controversial statement made by the 74-year-old Gandhian activist is set to raise the political temperature since he has come under criticism for suggesting that those who drink should be flogged.
In his reaction, Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari equated Anna’s suggestion to the way Taliban used to punish those who did not comply with the Sharia law.
"I think the Taliban used to say the same thing. By that analogy, you will possibly have to flog half of Kerala, three-fourth of Andhra Pradesh and about four-fifth of Punjab. So, I think that is quite a tall order." He was quoted as saying.
Meanwhile, BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman also ridiculed his suggestion and said that her party does not support such radical methods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant