DU teachers meet PM over 4-year UG programme
New Delhi: A section of teachers of Delhi University, opposed to the four-year undergraduate programme, on Saturday knocked at the door of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The Prime Minister told them that he will reflect upon their representations and convey their sentiments to the HRD Minister, sources said.
He also told them that he had spoken to the HRD Minister who has assured him that all processes have been adhered to, they said.
The meeting came as DU`s Executive Council has approved most of the courses under the four-year programme which would be introduced from July, 2013.
HRD Minister MM Pallam Raju had earlier said they will not come in the way of DU introducing the four-year undergraduate course but will look into the concerns expressed by some sections.
Any decision on defering the programme by a year will be left to the Delhi University as it is an autonomous institution, he had clarified.
Earlier, a delegation of Left and other parties` MPs had also met the Prime Minister to voice their concern over the proposed 4-year programme.
CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury, who was in the delegation, had said that the PM wanted to know why Delhi University was "in a hurry" to extend the three-year bachelor`s degree programme to four years. He had also said that he will get the matter examined.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read